Arizona Lawmaker Steve Gallardo Comes Out: 'I'm Gay, I'm Latino, I'm a State Senator and It's Okay'

Arizona State Senator Steve Gallardo came out of the closet in a meeting with reporters on Wednesday, the Phoenix New Times reports:

GallardoSitting in the Senate Caucus room with a handful of reporters, a little more than a week after he delivered a rousing speech to activists protesting against an anti-gay measure, Senator Steve Gallardo says that it's time to lay it out there.

"I'm gay, I'm a Latino, and I'm a senator," he says, his voice quivering with emotion. "And it's okay."

He says that watching activists fighting against SB 1062, a bill that provided legal cover for business owner who chose to discriminate against gays and transgender persons, inspired him to speak out.

Gallardo said he was hit with a revelation during the debate over the bill in the state senate:

"After I stood up on the floor and argued against 1062, as I've done on many bills before, I saw down and said, 'Wow. This bill affects me. It affects me directly'...I thought it's time. It's time to let people know about me. And to send people a message. I'm more interested in letting people who struggle with this know that it's okay."

Gallardo said he doesn't care how it affects his congressional aspirations.

The Republic adds:

Gallardo said he intends to serve out the rest of the legislative session and has no plans, at this point, to resign as he pursues the congressional seat.

Comments

1. As our Christian friends would say "The truth shall set you Free!".

We all make this journey at our own pace, but rest assured your life will get much better.

Posted by: Howard B | Mar 5, 2014 1:38:39 PM

2. Thank you, Mr. Gallardo.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Mar 5, 2014 1:42:20 PM

3. As Michele Bachmann would say "“I believe that tolerance is a two-way street, and we need to respect everyone's rights"

Posted by: lou | Mar 5, 2014 1:44:27 PM

4. This is why coming out is important.

Posted by: Canny | Mar 5, 2014 1:47:18 PM

5. fb and tweet him your support friends!

Posted by: marc | Mar 5, 2014 1:52:58 PM

6. That's great and all.

But he didn't feel inspired to come out when we were protesting Prop 102 that banned gay marriage in the state?

Posted by: crispy | Mar 5, 2014 1:57:00 PM

7. i love that he said he doesn't care how it effects his congressional aspirations.
    that's so refreshing. gotta love it.

Posted by: woody | Mar 5, 2014 2:01:02 PM

8. Good for him. Great. Thank you, Rep. Gallardo.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 5, 2014 2:16:00 PM

9. @CRISPY : Coming out is a personal journey, and it's both pointless and small-minded to belittle someone for failing to come out when you think s/he should have. Praise the man's actions, not his perceived-by-you omissions.

Posted by: rroberts | Mar 5, 2014 2:16:02 PM

10. We all know that there is no gay "first" - first gay mayor, first gay judge, first gay sheriff, first gay president - because there have been always been gay people everywhere. Instead, it's gradually becoming a world where it will be taken for granted that gay & lesbian people - and maybe even bisexuals and the transgender - are out and accepted - recognized in this aspect of their/our lives. Or so I can imagine more realistically than in my days of fervent idealistic youth.

Anyway, congratulations to Mr Gallardo. May he gay up Congress.

Posted by: Glenn I | Mar 5, 2014 2:53:52 PM

11. "Coming out is a personal journey"

Spare me. So tired of hearing that excuse used for people who live and make their careers as a public servant. If aspects of his life are so personal (and to him, apparently, shameful) he should have considered another career.

Anyways, isn't it convenient (and politically beneficial) that he came out for the fight we won, and not the one we lost?

Posted by: crispy | Mar 5, 2014 3:05:17 PM

12. "May he gay up Congress."

He's a state senator, FYI.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 5, 2014 3:08:54 PM

13. Jesus always a dam negative, bitchy queen complaining why somebody did not come out before? that's why we are not farther in this movement for losers like Crispy, that all that do is batching our own people, instead of embracing. Use that freaking energy to fight like a man like Steve Gallardo is, instead of winning like a little girl in the internet.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 5, 2014 3:27:07 PM

14. Ohfuckoff, Jerry.

When Mr. Gellardo, a 40-year-old man no less, was cowering in the closet, I was out marching my ass back and forth to the state capital and walking neighborhoods trying to prevent Arizona's gay marriage ban from being passed. So yeh, I'm the loser who did nothing but whine on the Internet.

The #1 reason we've gotten as far as we have is because brave people came out over the last 3 decades, rather than waiting until now when it's met with a collective "meh" throughout most of the country.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 5, 2014 3:43:31 PM

15. I LOOVE IT!!! Coming out NEVER gets old!!!

Posted by: Ninjakitty | Mar 5, 2014 4:10:14 PM

16. Oh for f*ck's sake, Crisp, not everybody is on your schedule, OK?

Glad you fought the good fight and all, but everyone comes out when they come out. Get over it, already.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 5, 2014 4:10:22 PM

17. @Crispy, what Johnny said!

Posted by: Howard B | Mar 5, 2014 8:06:11 PM

18. @Crispy, what Johnny said!

Posted by: Howard B | Mar 5, 2014 8:06:14 PM