Boy Scouts | News | Seattle

Boy Scouts Prepare to Force Out Gay Eagle Scout While Allowing His Straight Twin Brother to Stay: VIDEO

Easton-calabria

Liam and August Easton-Calabria are Eagle Scouts. They are also twin brothers.

Soon, Liam (right) will be forced out of the Scouts because he is gay. His brother is straight.

Seattle's KOMO News interviewed the twins about the discrimination.

Said Liam: "It was an interesting revelation to see the Boy Scouts come together as a non-inclusive organization. I don't think it's true to the scouting way. I mean, absolutely, scouting should be an inclusive organization."

Watch KOMO's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, Geoffrey McGrath, whose story we have featured quite a few times recently on Towleroad, is fighting the Scouts after being forced out over his sexual orientation. And the BSA has pulled the church's charter for standing by him.

Comments

1. Total discrimination. Hope BSA changes policy.

Posted by: mcgill | May 5, 2014 12:08:40 PM

2. This seems a strange story -- there is something missing here. The BSA do wrongfully discriminate against GLBT scout-leaders, but they have changed they policy to be inclusive of gay scouts. I am not condoning them discriminating against leaders -- it's just that in that light this story makes no sense. What are we missing here?

Posted by: Alex Parrish | May 5, 2014 12:46:54 PM

3. What a lib coup this story is for anti-scout policies, twin fantasies and tasteful eyeglass frames.

Posted by: geb | May 5, 2014 12:48:29 PM

4. @Alex: Eagle Scouts are considered leaders, though the wording and age rules/limits can be a bit confusing.

"The ranks of Star, Life, and Eagle require a set number of merit badges...as well as a minimum of time spent in a troop leadership position, and community service requirements, among other things. "

Posted by: Paul R | May 5, 2014 1:27:29 PM

5. If either of these young men were my scout leader, I would have a big crush. They don't make a badge for what I'd want to do to them.
    This is unfair.

Posted by: Gary | May 5, 2014 2:07:53 PM

6. Another thing @ Alex. Boy Scouts are considered adults at age 18, so under the new policy they are okay as gay until they turn 18, but once they turn 18 they're automatically, according to the thinkers??????? in the BSA, a pedophile. Still totally discriminatory and I, as an Eagle Scout, cannot and will not support anything the BSA does.

Posted by: Steven Jaeger | May 5, 2014 2:14:52 PM

7. @STEVEN JAEGER 21 is the cutoff point, not 18.

Posted by: sylvatica | May 5, 2014 4:16:30 PM

8. A lot of drama, very edgy, so much wow

Posted by: Mark | May 5, 2014 5:02:48 PM

9. The BSA cannot possibly build strength of character, integrity or compassion when they teach discrimination and judgment of others. Truly an evil organization. Their implication is gay youths become pedophilic the day they turn eighteen. What kind of message is that?

Posted by: ToThePoint | May 5, 2014 5:37:10 PM

10. Just researched it and 18 is the cutoff. A 19 year old was just fired from his summer job in Arizona.

Posted by: ToThePoint | May 5, 2014 6:15:25 PM

11. Thanks, I stand corrected.

Posted by: sylvatica | May 5, 2014 7:39:29 PM

12. His brother is straight? Yeah right.

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2014 11:57:20 PM

13. In the report she seemed to be saying you can be a gay scout as a scout until you are 21 (aren't you an Explorer scout in your older years?) but there is definitely the 18 year old limit. Is there a grandfather clause if you are just a scout and not a leader? Hey, help us here, recent former Boy Scouts.

Posted by: emjayay | May 6, 2014 1:37:07 AM

14. The new Boy Scout policy is that gay kids are ok. Gay adults, are not. If you are a gay scout, once you are 18, you are very bad.

For any adults who want to be Scout Leaders, you can't be gay.

Very simple policy and very clear as to what they think of gay people.>>>> Being gay is childish and eventually you grow up and got straight or you are a loser... basically.

Posted by: Steve Talbert | May 6, 2014 3:42:29 PM

15. OUCH. BSA needs to set a firm timetable to revisit the leader ban.

As i reached 18 and had my Eagle under my belt, my scoutmaster asked me to "just sign" the leadership application indicating that i was straight. Reluctantly, I took my memories and my sash and left.

Posted by: Grego | Jun 2, 2014 7:11:01 PM