"Ex-Gays" | Anderson Cooper | News | Republican Party | Texas

Anderson Cooper Destroys Lying TX GOP Lawmaker's Defense of Gay 'Reparative Therapy' Platform: VIDEO

Exgay_cooper

Texas State Rep. Bryan Hughes (R) appeared on AC360 last night to defend the Texas Republican Party's decision to add language to its platform supporting gay "reparative therapy".

The AP reported:

Under the new plank, the Texas Republican Party recognizes "the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle."

Hughes argues that doctors are divided on the issue when that's just not true, and Anderson set him straight:

"It’s really just not accurate to say that doctors are evenly divided. I could give you a list: the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselors' Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, National Association of Social Workers. They represent half a million mental health professionals, they all say this is not a mental disorder. It’s not something that needs to be cured....Does it concern you, again, that your party is now backing a form of therapy which basically every major medical organization says doesn’t work, can be harmful, and which many of the people who have been through it say it doesn’t work and is bad for kids?"

Hughes responded:

"No one is saying that God doesn’t love people as they are. There’s nothiing in the platform about that. No one is trying to take that position. Every one of us makes mistakes, makes decisions we’re not proud of. God loves each one of us, and he offers us a way for us to deal with sin and bad choices. But I do strongly disagree with what he said about God not loving people."

Anderson wasn't having it:

"The fact that you view being gay, or you characterize it as a 'mistake,' or something that should be changed really kind of maybe says more about your position than what your words actually say."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That smile is evil.

Posted by: Tim | Jun 12, 2014 8:46:06 AM

2. The eternal grin on that guy creeps me out.

Posted by: betocreativo | Jun 12, 2014 8:53:14 AM

3. The eternal grin on that guy creeps me out.

Posted by: betocreativo | Jun 12, 2014 8:53:50 AM

4. "really kind of maybe" Weak as water.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 12, 2014 9:04:20 AM

5. "really kind of maybe" Weak as water.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 12, 2014 9:07:36 AM

6. "This is about giving people choices. If they want this, it should be available to them."

I wonder if he feels the same about abortion?

Posted by: Adam | Jun 12, 2014 9:07:42 AM

7. why are they so afraid of being queer? and, yes, that sh*t eating smile/grin is very telling...

Posted by: mike/ | Jun 12, 2014 9:08:26 AM

8. "This is about giving people choices. If they want this, it should be available to them."

I wonder if he feels the same about abortion?

Posted by: Adam | Jun 12, 2014 9:10:41 AM

9. That there is a self satisfied smirk. Ted Cruz does it, too. I think they think it makes them appear level headed, but they just look insane.

Posted by: Greggie | Jun 12, 2014 9:13:17 AM

10. That Texas a--hole is both ignorant and evil.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 12, 2014 9:21:14 AM

11. BRAVO - Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: robertL | Jun 12, 2014 9:36:43 AM

12. ...Why do all these political types sound and look like back-water preachers?..He is a typical stereotype of the right wing nuttery that in astonishingly numbers mostly in the South (and almost ALL Texas GOP candidates and their constituents) They have a glazed, well-practiced smile on their faces which they think, I suppose, endears them to the base and seems to make them trustworthy. He hides his truths, as they all seem to do, behind God and the "word" of God whom they claim to know personally. Well, yeah, that is a Christian trait. They KNOW what God wants and demands of us. If it doesn't fit into their arena of belief they discard it. The God of the Old Testament for example was vengeful, violent, and even murderous...all in the name of making us mortals fearful at every turn....And the term this troll uses as does Joel Osteen, that being gay is not "God's best"..So we are marginalized and treated as a burned cookies? We were overcooked in the oven, so we are discarded as tainted, If that argument is true then he is not "God's best" either.I don't and never have bought that idiocy. His voters deserve him.

Posted by: thom | Jun 12, 2014 9:37:26 AM

13. BRAVO - Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: robertL | Jun 12, 2014 9:37:41 AM

14. It drives me crazy when they don't answer the question. It drives me even crazier when the interviewer let's it pass.

AC asks: "....Does it concern you, again, that your party is now backing a form of therapy which basically every major medical organization says doesn’t work, can be harmful, and which many of the people who have been through it say it doesn’t work and is bad for kids?"

BH responds: "No one is saying that God doesn’t love people as they are."

AC should say: "Answer my question."

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:43:28 AM

15. It drives me crazy when they don't answer the question. It drives me even crazier when the interviewer let's it pass.

BH responds: "No one is saying that God doesn’t love people as they are."

AC should say: "Answer my question."

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:45:57 AM

16. lets. I do my best proofreading after I've hit Enter.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:46:52 AM

17. As usual, when a light is shined on these right wing "brain trusts", their ignorant theories crumble like the dust; What they say and how they say are more of a statement on themselves sounding moronic, illogical and irrational

Posted by: Bernie | Jun 12, 2014 9:46:54 AM

18. lets. I do my best proofreading after I've hit Enter.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:47:27 AM

19. lets. I do my best proofreading after I've hit Enter.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:48:06 AM

20. lets. I do my best proofreading after I've hit Enter.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:48:52 AM

21. lets. I do my best proofreading after I've hit Enter.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:49:08 AM

22. lets. I do my best proofreading after I've hit Enter.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 12, 2014 9:50:21 AM

23. why doesn't anderson tell the imbecile that "god" has nothing to do with it?

we have a godless/secular constitution.

Posted by: candide | Jun 12, 2014 10:41:04 AM

24. Andersons a good interviewer, it only takes seconds for these stupid rep. fundies to 'trot out' the Gawd line..you can't debate ignorance...this dude has the same 'draft horse' size blinders on,that all fundies use....because gawd n jezusn bible..

Posted by: codyj | Jun 12, 2014 10:41:17 AM

25. That accent says it all!

Posted by: Johnny | Jun 12, 2014 11:43:28 AM