Panti Bliss Erupts Over Anti-Gay Abuse Of Friend In Dublin Store – VIDEO

10696200_859780530698863_5749978834841653276_n

Irish drag artist Panti Bliss, aka Rory O’Neill, has shared on Facebook how a heroic shop assistant in Dublin dealt with one customer hurling anti-gay slurs at another, reports The Journal.

Panti came to worldwide attention earlier this year when she made an impassioned speech at the Abbey Theatre against homophobia. That speech came about after O’Neill called out a number of well known Irish figures who he said are homophobes because of their anti-gay activism. The activists sued state broadcaster RTE and were awarded damages.

There’s been an inevitable backlash against the story of the shop assistant leaping to the defense of Rory’s friend but Panti has softened their coughs as only she can.

Wrote Bliss on Facebook:

So the story of my friend Colm who was called a 'faggot' in Spar yesterday has gone viral overnight, and while the vast majority of the responses have been lovely and positive, poor Colm has also had to deal with lots of abuse online – from people calling him a liar, to the people who claim it's his own fault for not dressing how they think he should. Because apparently the problem isn't that some asshole called him a faggot while he was minding his own business in his local shop, but that some faggots refuse to dress how assholes in shops think they should.
Dolly give me strength!

Heroic #SparGuy as yet remains unidentified.

Watch Panti's Abbey Theatre speech, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. Mennigh says

The Spar guy is the hero of the story. I don’t care for the homophobe or the gay guy who dressed like a clown.

2. CC says

Someone should tell the idiot of Iona that his kind of hate and that of the customers is not allowed. oPress on again hate & homophobia!!

3. UFFDA says

OK I listened to about half that pathetic speech and can only wonder to ask how difficult can it be to figure out that if you take off your wig, your makeup and that dress people won’t taunt you or beat you? In any primate society a creature as odd as Patti and his ilk would be either outcast or killed by the male majority. I would never do this, my friends would never do this, but a whole lot of the other male primates of any species would, will and do. If I behaved like Patti I would never cry foul because I would know that I had gone too far and that it was all MY FAULT and no one else’s.

4. JackFknTwist says

Hmmmmm.
    I wonder if “King of Iona” is connected with the “Iona Institute” in Dublin.

The “Iona Institute ” is an organization of Catholic extreme right wing bigots determined to stop marriage equality in the forthcoming referendum in 2015.

The “Iona Institute” operates from Clonliffe , a seminary for trainee priests.It is funded by right wing catholic US funds.

5. UFFDA says

My parents hated that I was their son. I did whatever they demanded of me, and they still wished that I would just die. I have never known what it’s like to be loved.

6. Paul says

@KingofIona is a parody account which anyone with half a brain would realise. You might want to pull your heads in.

Also the vast majority of people are praising Spar Guy (including his employers) so let’s not focus on the few morons who can’t help themselves.

7. Paul says

Also UFFDA if you listened to the speech properly you’d know that he is talking about walking down the street as himself, Rory O’Neill not as Panti Bliss, when he got that abuse.

8. Parkrunner says

Once in Austin back in the 90s, I took my elderly in-laws to Amy’s, a popular ice cream parlor. There was a long line and in front of us were a couple of guys in drag. My “Mom” told one of them she liked her dress. This started a hilarious conversation and they ended up buying our cones and sitting with us. We knew they were guys and chalked it up to being an Austin experience. They never have been haters, just a lovely couple in love with life. It’s a pity some don’t have the same philosophy.

9. UFFDA says

I don’t get treated badly by straight people because I’m closeted and don’t ever leave my room. Everyone else should do the same.

10. UFFDA says

Listen to KIWI rave under my name! It’s sad.

PAUL – I didn’t realise that of course, but could not listen to more. Fact is there must be a good many other things about “Panti” (so clever) that look excessively odd and gay. He should know by now what these are and not carry on with such ingenuous claims of ignorance.

11. Derrick from Philly says

@PARKRUNNER,

beautiful story. Thanks.

See, I knew there were good folks down in Texas.

12. Derrick from Philly says

I tried to post this earlier, so I apologize if it’s a repeat comment.

There is a Transwomen who lives in our apartment building. She is increadibly supportive, kind and positive minded. She’s a physical therapist (I’ll need her help someday LOL) We walked together to the train this morning. She made me feel stronger.

13. Lymis says

“Let us not forget that #SparGuy oppressed the right of customers to oppress the rights of others. Is this what we want for society?”

Yes. Yes it is.

I want society to oppress the right of racists to spew racism.
    I want society to oppress the right of sexists to spew sexism.
    I want society to oppress the right of homophobes to spew homophobia.

I’d prefer that the bigots learn to get over their bigotry, but I’ll settle for a social contract that they have to keep it to themselves.