Charlie Crist | Florida | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Fla GOP Gov. Candidate Charlie Crist: I Never Had Sex with a Man

On the hypocrisy watch, a reporter for the Broward-Palm Beach New Times alleges that Florida Gubernatorial Candidate Charlie Crist, whose recent campaign phone calls proclaim "I support a constitutional amendment to protect traditional marriages, and I oppose adoption by gay couples," has a long-term male lover who is a convicted thief and has had sexual trysts with a young former male field director for the campaign of U.S. Senate candidate Katherine Harris.

Speaker_cristRumors of Attorney General Crist's sexuality are nothing new. Recently his opponent, independent candidate Max Linn, told a radio interviewer that "it is common knowledge in Tallahassee that Crist is gay."

New Times writer Bob Norman bases his claims that Crist had an affair with 21-year-old Jason Wetherington, the field director for Harris, on two different anonymous sources who claim that Wetherington bragged to them at dinner parties that he and Crist had sex at a Tampa area hotel while he was working on the Harris campaign. One source also said that Wetherington named Bruce Jordan Carlton, a convicted felon who also worked for Katherine Harris, as Crist's long-term partner.

Of course anonymous sources aren't much good in substantiating anything unless they'll come forward, and the subjects of the rumors are in denial mode. When approached by Norman, Wetherington claimed that the extent of his contact with Crist was "shaking his hand" and denied claims by Norman's sources that he had bragged of an appointment should Crist win election. Said Wetherington: "I sent him a resume. I want to work for him, but I never said that I had a job with the administration."

Crist denied remembering who Jordan was, although the reporter spoke to Jordan's father and said that his son and Crist were friends. Crist told Norman that "of course it's fair" for reporters to ask about his sexuality. When Norman asked Crist directly if he'd ever had sex with a man, the Attorney General's reply was "never".

Crist Denies Trysts [broward-palm beach new times]
Florida: Newspaper Seemingly Outs Crist and Names Names [politics1]

You may have missed...
Opponent Outs Florida Gubernatorial Candidate Charlie Crist [tr]

Comments

1. Self-loathers are in-bred liars. They believe their lies. C'mon, what is our default position? Repeat with me: How can you tell a politician is lying? His lips are moving.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 25, 2006 11:46:09 AM

2. Reichen, Jake and I had a mini-orgy with Charlie just last night, although Reichen called kept calling it "assault" for some reason.

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 25, 2006 12:19:58 PM

3. Look, if a politician says (particularly with a southern accent), "I never had sex with that [woman/man]," then it just has to be true, right?

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 25, 2006 12:40:28 PM

4. If no one is willing to come out and say, "Yes, I fucked Crist." then this story is over. Very odd that he denied knowing the gentlemen whose father called them friends, however.

Then again, Republicans live in a bizarre world I'll never understand.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 25, 2006 12:58:00 PM

5. WOW....well all I have to say is that Charlie's got great taste in guys b/c I personally know Jason Wetherington from Leadership Camp back in 10th grade and let me tell u

a) He is as gay as the come
    b) He is FIONE as hell (he an really fill out
    a suit)....even back then!
    c) He is pretty much the biggest doucebag I
    have ever run into.....the cute ones
    usually are :(

Posted by: ufkid1884 | Oct 25, 2006 1:28:47 PM

6. predictions

crist will loose

crist will come out and do a book tour ending up on oprah's couch

Jason's career in repub politics is over

jason after another year or two will fully come out of the closet and become a raging slut for a while .....then he will settle down with a husband and be a life long dem

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 25, 2006 2:24:18 PM

7. boys then??

...while sober??

...whose name I knew??

Because sex is defined as being between one man and one woman.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 25, 2006 2:37:37 PM

8. Talk about hypocrisy on Jason's part. Here's an article from 2002, where he believes a male teacher who appeared in a solo stroke video should be fired from his teaching job, because "They have to maintain that character education both inside and outside the classroom..." Clearly, Jason must have skipped those character building classes.

Posted by: Paul Raposo | Oct 26, 2006 10:05:28 AM

9. Mr. Wetherington:

Posted by: Je | Oct 26, 2006 12:34:00 PM

10. Hmmmm... Maybe Crist doesn't consider what he's done with other men as sex. Maybe it's making love... maybe sex has an entirely different meaning for Crist. Everything is relative. Look at Anderson Cooper for cryin' out loud. He's str8 as an arrow .

Posted by: Island Girly | Jul 8, 2008 8:53:43 AM