Watch: Explosions in the Sky

Ftworth

A May 10 thunderstorm set off a chain reaction of transformer explosions in Fort Worth this week that provided a stunning light show.

The videographer writes:

"It was taken from my balcony on the 34th floor of a building in Fort Worth. Though I thought we were at war or was terrorism, it was a massive series of downed 7,200 volt power lines. As I took it with my 70-200 2.8L IS lens, it is farther away than it looks. (it is 5 miles away) That is why there are not explosion sounds. This was a very well documented event. I was on my balcony to take lightning pictures (Yes, not smart) and this started happening in front of me. I turned my camera (Canon 5d MkII) to video mode and let it roll."

Note: the videographer writes that the clip was inadvertantly doubled.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Spooky and gorgeous...simultaneously.

Posted by: Tre | May 13, 2011 7:29:53 PM

2. TRE

well said

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | May 13, 2011 7:38:07 PM

3. That's a lot of transformers in one area. I think it was something else. Gay circuit party I think.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | May 13, 2011 7:49:44 PM

4. Very similar to the pre-dawn transformer explosions we had in LA during and immediately following the Jan '94 Northridge quake (but we didn't have video-capable cameras or phones then)

Posted by: Mark | May 13, 2011 9:04:27 PM

5. Cool. I wonder why all the lights didn't go out.

Posted by: Soren456 | May 13, 2011 9:48:08 PM

6. Are we sure this wasn't The Rapture?

Posted by: Nanny McBone | May 13, 2011 10:09:07 PM

7. "Though I thought we were at war or was terrorism"

Yes, the first sign of terrorism is red, white and blue flashes of light — all smokeless and totally free of airborne debris, of course.

Posted by: KeithK | May 13, 2011 10:09:46 PM

8. Well, they could have been fashionable terrorists.

Posted by: Gregoire | May 13, 2011 11:32:46 PM

9. I admit that I laughed at that comment too, as if Fort Worth is going to be the primary target of any terrorist.

But after watching the clip, you must admit it's a very odd and initially inexplicable circumstance.

Posted by: Paul R | May 13, 2011 11:47:19 PM

10. Beautiful. Like a scifi movie. And the birds in the background are cool.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 14, 2011 12:35:14 AM

11. All the lights didn't go out, some of the circuits have sacrifice fuses to allow enough time the the circuit to transfer to a branch circuit. You don't want to be near a transformer when it blows up, your ears will ring for an hour.

I work in the electrical field.

Posted by: garyj | May 14, 2011 2:08:07 AM

12. Naaaa! This is a clip from the director's cut of the best film in the history of cinema - "2012" with the amazing John Cussack ! :-)

Posted by: squeak | May 14, 2011 3:28:23 AM

13. If you've ever been in a hurricane or a massive storm, this is one of the first things you see/hear. Then your power goes out. It really is scary. :3

Posted by: Kyle | May 14, 2011 5:48:25 AM

14. Yes, because Fort Worth is on the top of the list of terrorist attacks. Signed, a New Yorker.

Posted by: Greg | May 14, 2011 12:56:18 PM

15. "War of the Worlds 2011" Embracing my inner nerd.

Posted by: austin | May 14, 2011 1:28:58 PM

16. Must have scared the bejeesus out of people within hearing distance. Too bad it didn't happen on May 21, when The Rapture is supposed to happen...

Posted by: BobN | May 15, 2011 3:50:19 PM