2012 Election | 2012 Olympics | American Idol | Aretha Franklin | Barack Obama | Comic Books | Deaths | Egypt | France | Hillary Clinton | Iran | Madonna | Mitt Romney | Rahm Emanuel | Relationships | Religion | Republican Party

NEWS: Retroactive Retirement, Celeste Holm, And Heckles (VIDEO)

Gillespie

Towleroad-roadicon Senior Romney advisor explains discrepancy over Romney's Bain retirement dates: He didn't leave 'til 2002, but he retired retroactively to 1999. Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Towleroad-roadicon Rahm to Romney: Stop whining

Towleroad-roadicon Obama's humblebrag, and the ill health of campaign discourse:

when Charlie Rose showed up at the White House asking the president what he thought his big mistake was, all that remained a mystery was how Obama would evade the question.

President Obama chose the humblebrag: "The mistake of my first term—couple of years—was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right. And that's important. But the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times."

... The president was essentially saying that he was working so hard trying to help the American people, he forgot to tell them about it.

Towleroad-roadicon This was the gayest Comic-Con ever:

“Queer fandom is absolutely galvanized by seeing more accurate representations of ourselves,” [says Justin Hall, author of the just-released “No Straight Lines,” a retrospective of LGBT comics.] “There’s a snowball effect.”

“It’s always been going on under the surface, but now there’s a real queer presence,” adds Love Ablan, a self-described pop culture nerd who’s bisexual. “Even among non-queer fans. My super-straight guy friend is totally into this comic about queer bears.”

Towleroad-roadicon Aretha Franklin would like to be the new J-Lo.

Towleroad-roadicon Actress Celeste Holm has died. She was 95.

Celeste-holm-02 Towleroad-roadicon Here's a very sad, very compelling story written about Ms. Holm last year, detailing the conflict between her children and young husband about the disbursement of her ravaged fortune:

To its various players, this story is about a young husband coveting his elderly wife’s fortune, or jealous sons guarding their inheritance or an independent-minded woman trying to maintain control of her finances even as her faculties decline. It is a cautionary tale for families trying to manage one of our age’s emblematic conflicts, between elderly parents who want to live autonomously and adult children who want to protect them, made more vivid by the presence of the Broadway and screen actress at its center. From all sides, it is a story of loss.

Towleroad-roadicon Father arrested in Iran for son's contributions to Imam-mocking Facebook page:

The Facebook page, dubbed the "Campaign to Remind Shias about Imam Naqi," features a robed man, presumably Naqi, with a face like Charles Manson's, flanked by a camel wearing sunglasses and the donkey from "Shrek." It also shows a picture of a Shiite tomb that has been pooped on by a flock of pigeons.

With more than 21,000 likes, the page explains, "Our goal is to use satire to take out the superstition from religion."

... On May 23, Khameneh got a call from his father, Abbas Khameneh, in Iran.

"He said, 'some people from the intelligence service had come (to our house), and they want you to cooperate,' " Khameneh recalled. "My father said, 'they want your passwords to your Facebook, web blog and e-mail ... '"

Towleroad-roadicon Madonna sued for comparing Marine Le Pen to Hitler.

Towleroad-roadicon Olympic shooter complains that gay couples get to cohabitate in Olympic village, while he and his wife do not.

Towleroad-roadicon Secretary of State Hillary Clinton heckled in Egypt with cries of "Monica! Monica!"

Comments

1. Yeah, and I retroactively was a straight A student in college.

Posted by: shle896shle | Jul 15, 2012 5:08:47 PM

2. Brandon. A News post needs no less than three pictures and no more than three pictures. And it needs enough articles to fill the margins between those three pictures. You're running this site into the ground.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 15, 2012 5:13:58 PM

3. "He didn't leave 'til 2002, but he retired retroactively to 1999"

WTF? How the hell is that possible? Did Romney steal Obama's time machine that Teabaggers say he used to go back and change his Kenyan birth records?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 15, 2012 5:16:00 PM

4. Retroactive retirement.. what a hoot..

Sounds a lot like self deportation to me.

I hope his camp stops soon.. my sides are aching..

Posted by: chas holman | Jul 15, 2012 5:18:01 PM

5. It's like I quit my job, even though I continued to work there? Or, I quit my job but kept filing taxes from that job? WTF?

Posted by: kodiak | Jul 15, 2012 5:23:37 PM

6. After his presidency, if it goes badly, is he going to retroactively resign?

Posted by: Randy | Jul 15, 2012 5:24:51 PM

7. How much do you want to bet the tax returns Romney refuses to release show deductions for expenses related to Bain Capital, where he claims he didn't work at the time? I'd say chances are pretty good.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 15, 2012 5:27:01 PM

8. Solomon. Stop being such a hag; it's a blog post, if you're spending your time counting pictures you're missing the point.

Posted by: DavyJones | Jul 15, 2012 5:28:05 PM

9. Solomon:

Thanks for reading, and for your input. Please don't be offended if I discard it. I've been running the blog on the weekend for almost a year, and I've always used two pictures in the link roundup. Sometimes just one. On one occasion I felt crazy and used four. Think of it! Four!

A word of explanation, since you seem interested: Over the weekend, most journalists aren't working. Fewer news stories are published. There are, therefore, fewer stories to blog about, and fewer to stick in the link roundup. Fewer pictures are therefore needed.

If there's a story you'd like to see in a subsequent link roundup, please do drop a line.

Thanks, and happy Sunday,
    - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jul 15, 2012 5:36:07 PM

10. Brandon, is it so bad that I'm a conservative with conservative values? I just think that a proper post should have 3 pictures and suddenly I'm an enemy of state. I thought this was America. Fine whatever. You do good work. I guess in my conservative anger I failed to realize it is Sunday. Accept my apology. I still think I'm right but I'm sorry if anyone was offended.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 15, 2012 5:40:30 PM

11. Brandon, is it so bad that I'm a conservative with conservative values? I just think that a proper post should have 3 pictures and suddenly I'm an enemy of state. I thought this was America. Fine whatever. You do good work. I guess in my conservative anger I failed to realize it is Sunday. Accept my apology. I still think I'm right but I'm sorry if anyone was offended.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 15, 2012 5:40:30 PM

12. Wow, retroactive retirement sounds great! You get to be sole owner and CEO while taking zero responsibility for what happens under your name, and you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars while doing no work whatsoever.

I bet a lot of people would love Mitt's career path. (New college major?) Now all he needs to do is release those taxes so he can clear up any misunderstandings among those of us too dim to understand the concept of retroactive retirement.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 15, 2012 5:42:17 PM

13. @Solomon: It's Brandon's post, so he can do with it whatever he wants to. If you don't like it, go to some other site. Easy peasy.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 15, 2012 5:44:58 PM

14. Solomon:

Thanks for the response. Nope, not offended -- I was a theater critic for five years and a political columnist for two, and both occupations necessitate at least a tolerance, and preferably a perverse affection for, hate mail.

As to your conservatism -- that's just fine. It takes all kinds. Glad you'll keep reading, and I hope you'll keep commenting.

Regards,
    - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jul 15, 2012 5:46:17 PM

15. @SOLOMON: who gives flying fig how many stories/pics there are and more importantly, whether you are some anal-retentive conservative who obviously needs to GET A GRIP!

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 15, 2012 5:46:25 PM

16. Ms. Holm played Woody's grandmother-in-law on a funny episode of Cheer's in its final season.

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 15, 2012 5:49:38 PM

17. Retroactive retirement? Come on that is just too much!

Posted by: JOE | Jul 15, 2012 5:54:03 PM

18. Hahahahaha properly vetted journalists are the best. While I may not love every one of your post, you've sincerely earned my tacit respect. ;-)) You won't hear a peep from me again. Unless I'm drunk, in which event I apologize profusely in advance. Sorrynotsorry. :-/

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 15, 2012 6:01:02 PM

19. Sorry, Ernie. Careers like the one Romney had-yet-didn't have is only available to people born white and rich. It's the secret 11th Commandment, don't you know?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 15, 2012 6:05:15 PM

20. BKT is way nicer than I'd ever be. So where are these rules for bloggers written? The monsters on this site are out of control.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 15, 2012 6:22:53 PM

21. Celeste was, from the commentary on "All About Eve", a charm to everyone on the set and Bette Davis hated her. Celeste reportedly gave Bette a "Good Morning!" and received a nasty F-U reply back, and they weren't exactly friends after that.

Karen: "Margo and I were meeting at 21 for lunch. We were going to get all dolled up like we used to. With hats!"

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 15, 2012 6:41:22 PM

22. "....On one occasion I felt crazy and used four. Think of it! Four!"

LOL! Touche!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jul 15, 2012 6:43:35 PM

23. Is Solomon a joke? Or are you for real? Either way, it's amazing how pathetic you are.

Posted by: Jeremy | Jul 15, 2012 6:53:43 PM

24. @Solomon -- You seem to lack the qualities of your namesake, but whatever. Let me guess: you're super-bossy in bed ("NO! You're doing it WRONG! I said EXACTLY 74 thrusts, then....") and you wonder non-ironically where all the 'hot punctilious guys' are.

Can you take a hint? Here's one: www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jul 15, 2012 6:58:23 PM

25. Are there really "tons" of gay couples on the Australian Olympic team?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jul 15, 2012 6:59:55 PM