Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Football (American) | New York | News | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow Makes His Public Jets Debut, Shirtless: VIDEO

Tim_tebow

Evangelical athlete Tim Tebow is now a New York Jet and baffled the media by punctuating his public training debut with an "unusual" shirtless run in the rain, something he won't even do in his buttoned-up Jockey underwear ads. The move has put him front and center on every sports page today.

The NY Daily News:

Slowly, he sauntered away, as if “Chariots of Fire” was playing in the background, the only shirtless man around.

It was, if nothing else, a good-looking ending to an unspectacular practice by the famed backup quarterback. He was just 3-for-8 in 11-on-11 drills, numbers hampered by a wet ball and a few drops by receivers, but indicative of his performance as well. He was sacked once, by Aaron Maybin.

When Rex Ryan was asked about the media scrutinizing Tebow’s shirtless run instead of his performance on the field, the coach was uncharacteristically speechless for a moment before saying, “I don’t know if I’m there yet. No, trust me, I don’t want the fans not coming out just in case.”

Befuddled, Ryan added, “Who knows? Follow anything you want.”

The paper notes that "for the second day in a row, Mark Sanchez was sharper than Tebow," but that doesn't mean he's getting the press's attention. Sanchez was gracious earlier in the week when a member of the press mistook him for Tebow, but he laughed it off, though it quickly became one of the most-watched sports moments of the week.

Watch it and a clip of Tebow's public display, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sanchez

Comments

1. Eh. Never mind that he's as simple as a stump,...he does absolutely nothing for me when it comes to being physically attractive.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 29, 2012 9:26:36 AM

2. there just HAS to be a gay jock inside there trying to break free, srsly,lol.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jul 29, 2012 9:27:28 AM

3. Still a dochenozzle

Posted by: Hdtex | Jul 29, 2012 9:37:48 AM

4. meh.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 29, 2012 9:37:57 AM

5. I'd much prefer to see Mark Sanchez shirtless than Tebow.

Posted by: Eddie | Jul 29, 2012 9:43:54 AM

6. You guys do realize he's gay, right? Tebow could change the world of sports if he came out. Wonder if he realizes some things are more important than money.

And, no, this isn't some wishful thinking. I thought this since the rumors of his UF days, starting when he tried blaming morality in why ye didn't date women. If you guys don't believe, go to YouTube and type in "Tebow gay" and watch the clip. Big time Nelly which makes him 100 times sexier.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 29, 2012 9:44:52 AM

7. LOL at "this isn't wishful thinking" followed by "I thought this."

Anyways, no pectoral definition, kinda doughy around the mid-section... I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Posted by: endo | Jul 29, 2012 9:51:01 AM

8. I have never really understood the interest in Tebow from the beginning. I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I find absolutely nothing remotely attractive about him. He does not have a handsome face. His body (for an athlete) is mediocre. His voice and speech are annoying. His talent as a QB is nothing to write home about. Is it his religious fervor? If not for his fundamentalist fanaticism, I don't think Tebow would make a blip on most folks radar screens. I live near a major US university and everyday I see young men that make Tebow look like a troll. But, as the cliche goes, different strokes for different folks. To me he's, yuck.

Posted by: Bob R | Jul 29, 2012 10:08:36 AM

9. Dear NYC,
    Welcome to the circus. Hope you "enjoy" it as much as we did.
    Sincerely,
    Denver.

Posted by: Ron | Jul 29, 2012 10:10:07 AM

10. He's a right-wing fundamentalist creep. I don't give a damn what he looks like shirtless.

Posted by: TerryA | Jul 29, 2012 10:14:03 AM

11. He's kinda chunky.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 29, 2012 10:15:11 AM

12. I think he's starting to act out as he is fighting to come to terms with his sexuality. Expect more of this. The whole "look at me" aspect is a scream for attention. Why? He's already overexposed! My guess is he is inviting the tabloids to start going after him. Plus, he isn't helping his team with these antics. Twitter may explode, but I think it's just a cry for help. He is self-sabotaging because he can't handle how to reconcile his public piety with desires he has kept under wraps for far too long.

Posted by: Mac | Jul 29, 2012 10:21:46 AM

13. I actually think he's pretty hot but that whole being a Bible-thumping moron thing kinda ruins it.

But he was raised in a strict Evangelical home and constantly told that if it weren't for Jesus he'd have been aborted so religiosity is no surprise. Talk about a guilt trip!

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 29, 2012 10:27:34 AM

14. I think he just wanted a professionally taken picture for this grindr profile....

Posted by: V-8 | Jul 29, 2012 10:38:42 AM

15. His head is too small for his flabby body.

Posted by: belo | Jul 29, 2012 11:00:59 AM

16. I agree with Caliban, before I learned who he was, I thought he pretty damn hot in a dumb-jock way, but the brainwashed bible peddling public-prayer-spectacle-ating is a monumental turnoff.

Posted by: Wolf Sawyer | Jul 29, 2012 11:01:53 AM

17. @MICHAEL: I watched the clip you mentioned. He's the gayest man from gay town. That clip damn near made ME more gay. Wow!!

Posted by: AJ | Jul 29, 2012 11:16:02 AM

18. There are so many people on my Tumblr dashboard that are hotter than him. And smarter. And less delusional.

Posted by: Joe B. | Jul 29, 2012 11:41:52 AM

19. Gotta love the queens who think he is "chunky" or "flabby." I guess they are getting better quality on Grindr or something.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jul 29, 2012 11:54:03 AM

20. He's going to be so fat when he retires. Absolutely no sense of proportionality to his body, just brute thickness. Very unappealing

Posted by: Aesthete | Jul 29, 2012 11:55:00 AM

21. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part, but the media seems to be referring more and more to Tebutt as 'evangelical quarterback', as if setting him up for the big outing to come-- 'gay evangelical quarterback'.

This could be great for Mark Sanchez--take some of the media spotlight (and a lot of the media pressure) off of him, making Tebutt a lightning 'rod' of sorts.

For some reason, I imagine Tebutt's manpiece morphing into a vagina when he gets aroused---he veritably screams 'power bottom'. Not that there's one thing wrong with it.

Posted by: Tebutt's Manpiece | Jul 29, 2012 12:02:11 PM

22. Let's all be honest here. If we didn't know who he was and he come running after us looking like that in a rain storm, every single one of us would SLOW DOWN so he could catch up to us and we could see the view from the rear. Now that we know who he is, it takes a little bit of the shine off the rose. It's just like at Christmas. You get the package that is wrapped nice, pretty paper, handmade bow, and it's an 8-track tape from k-tel.

Posted by: Tracy | Jul 29, 2012 12:31:51 PM

23. First Santorum, then Palin, and now Brendan Fraser's shortbus-riding cousin...it looks like the usual Evangelical Attention Whores are back in force.

I'm sure they'll be a CFA commercial starring Timmy very soon.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 29, 2012 12:59:46 PM