Dolly Parton | Drag Queens | I'm Not Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Dolly Parton is Neither Gay Nor a Convincing Drag Queen: VIDEO

Parton

Dolly Parton sat down with Nightline last night to discuss her career, and her personal life.

Parton said that she laughs over rumors that she is gay, adding that she has that in common with Oprah, and they've discussed it:

"Like Gayle [King], her friend, Judy, my friend, they just think that you just can't be that close to somebody," Parton said. "Judy and I have been best friends since we were like in the third and fourth grade… We still just have a great friendship and relationship and I love her as much as I love anybody in the whole world, but we're not romantically involved."

Parton also talks about a drag queen contest she once entered, and lost:

"They had a bunch of Chers and Dollys that year, so I just over-exaggerated -- made my beauty mark bigger, the eyes bigger, the hair bigger, everything. All these beautiful drag queens had worked for weeks and months getting their clothes. So I just got in the line and I just walked across, and they just thought I was some little short gay guy.. but I got the least applause."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Dolly is ...Dolly. Great song writer and singer, good hearted and kind person, who does lots of charity. International treasure. These kinds of rumors about her private life are worth nothing.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 27, 2012 10:57:22 AM

2. Dolly has spoken out for the LGBT community for decades - even when it has been harmful to her career and way before it was fashionable. I have so much respect for her for doing this.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 27, 2012 11:06:29 AM

3. Dolly has spoken out for the LGBT community for decades - even when it has been harmful to her career and way before it was fashionable. I have so much respect for her for doing this.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 27, 2012 11:06:30 AM

4. Wow, I've actually never heard that rumor. People are ridiculous.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 27, 2012 11:18:56 AM

5. Love Dolly!

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 27, 2012 11:22:51 AM

6. I love Ms Dolly. She's a hero and little she is a class act if I ever could say that about anybody. ^_^

Posted by: Alexander | Nov 27, 2012 11:23:17 AM

7. Dolly is an American treasure and seems to be one of the most genuinely nicest celebrities ever. I had never heard this gay rumor before either. The one difference though is that Oprah has never married and Dolly has been married to the same man for like 45 years. I guess since Dolly's husband is almost never seen in public and they never had kids, people will talk. In any case, Dolly is fabulous.

Posted by: FancyPants | Nov 27, 2012 11:30:05 AM

8. I've heard the drag queen story before-love it; it's so funny

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Nov 27, 2012 12:22:54 PM

9. Didn't she deny for years that she'd had breast implants?

Posted by: Didn't She? | Nov 27, 2012 12:45:52 PM

10. Dolly is one of the most awesome people on this planet. She's a beautiful and talented singer, songwriter and actress that has given so much time, money and effort to help children learn to read with her free book program. She's also been an outspoken supporter of the gay and drag queen community long before Madonna made it "cool".

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 27, 2012 1:16:47 PM

11. What can I say that others haven't said? Dolly is a beautiful person, one of the best American songwriters and great singer and actress, and a class act. She's long been very consistent in her support of what she believes in, from women's and gay rights to a world of peace, love and understanding.
    One of her quips is that if she were a man she would be a drag queen because she loves clothes so much.
    I first heard rumors about her being a lesbian in the mid-1980s. Whether or not they are in anyway true is totally irrelevant to her talent and all awesomeness. As she's said about all the plastic surgery she's had, "There only thing that's real is my heart."

Posted by: MichaelJ | Nov 27, 2012 1:45:51 PM

12. Years ago I worked on a film whose costumer told me that they had worked with Dolly before, and that she was a lesbian with a crew cut who considered "Dolly" to be her "drag" character. She'd come in wearing jeans and a sweatshirt with her cropped hair and be transformed into the Dolly we all know and love.

Regardless of whether that's true or not, she's incredibly kind, talented, and whip smart. Love her!

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 27, 2012 2:26:57 PM

13. Dolly is so far above rumor and innuendo that it absurd to even go there. A National Treasure if America ever had one; a truly good person whose faith and love she uses to uniten not seperate people. I will always love her since I first saw her on Porter's show in the 60's. What a living Doll!

Posted by: gj | Nov 27, 2012 2:37:11 PM

14. The difference between the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and Dolly Parton addressing the lesbian rumors is that the parade occurs only once a year, and when it's over, Macy's gets off our case for a while.

As a gifted singer and songwriter she is incomparable; I've loved her since "Coat of Many Colors," decades ago. But oh is she insecure, thinking her fans would turn on her if she didn't keep denying. The first time I heard her "drag queen" remark, to make everyone sort of blur the issue... it wasn't exactly last week or last year. I think Helen Reddy was a major recording artist at the time.

Posted by: Professor Von Pie | Nov 27, 2012 8:33:29 PM

15. Dolly,i will alaways love you.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Nov 27, 2012 9:52:29 PM

16. Now that is an amazing person. Dolly Parton is virtually without equal. A stellar human being and a charismatic and compelling entertainer who is truly gifted with talent.

Posted by: John | Dec 3, 2012 5:02:53 PM