Florida | Marco Rubio | News | Republican Party

Marco Rubio: My Faith, Which Informs Me, Says That Homosexuality is a Sin - VIDEO

Rubio

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), seen as a presidential contender for the GOP in 2016, sat down for an interview with Politico's Mike Allen, Think Progress reports.

Here's what Rubio had to say when asked if homosexuality is a sin:

Well, I can tell you what faith teaches and faith teaches that it is. And that’s what the Bible teaches and that’s what faith teaches. But it also teaches that there area bunch of other sins that are no less. For example, it teaches that lying is a sin. It teaches that disrespecting your parents is a sin. It teaches that stealing is a sin. It teaches that coveting your neighbor and what your neighbor has is a sin. So there isn’t a person in this room that isn’t guilty of sin. So, I don’t go around pointing fingers in that regard. I’m responsible for my salvation and I’m responsible for my family’s, and for inculcating in my family what our faith teaches, and they’ll become adults and decide how they want to apply that in life. As a policy maker, I could just tell you that I’m informed by my faith. And my faith informs me in who I am as a person — but not as a way to pass judgment on people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Think Progress notes that Rubio's position of not "passing judgment" on people is NOT backed by his actions:

Rubio opposed allowing same-sex couples in Florida to adopt children. He opposed allowing gay and lesbian members of the Armed Services to serve openly. He opposes making it illegal to fire someone just for being LGBT.
Worse than his rigid opposition to legal recognition for same-sex couples, he recorded a robocall for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) last month.

Comments

1. his faith should similarly inform him to oppose the GOP's fiscal plans which are a direct affront to Christ's messages.

but hey, that would require consistency.

how does he feel about Jews or non-Christians marrying? or even existing?

amazing how "Christian beliefs" only seem to come into play when conservatives dont' want to be fair and equal to gays, Muslims and "others"....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 5, 2012 11:32:37 AM

2. Politicians shouldn't even be asked about "sin" and other religious BS. Religion has no place in politics

Posted by: Steve | Dec 5, 2012 11:33:43 AM

3. Why are politicians bringing religion into governance when the US is a republic? Are we going to call into question the "Age of Reason" of the end 18th century? In almost any other Western democracy the idea of politicians using a non-rational belief system, and worse, publicly proclaiming it, would be met with derision, disbelief and sanction.

As most Latinos who are not right-wing Cuban-Americans say, "Whether they say it in English, Spanglish or Spanish, the message still sucks. We ain't gonna vote for him because the guy has a Spanish name."

Posted by: Sean | Dec 5, 2012 11:41:13 AM

4. "As a policy maker, I could just tell you that I’m informed by my faith."

Rubio's statement is one of the most dangerous statements to democracy that can be made.

What if MY beliefs tell me that Rubio's former religion (Mormonism) and his current one (Catholicism) are evil and social cancers?

Faith may inform personal decisions, but rational analysis, equity and justice should be what inform and drive public policy decisions.

When a politician says that he makes policy according to his religion, I start looking for another candidate.

Posted by: Rubio Disgusts Me | Dec 5, 2012 11:41:24 AM

5. I absolutely agree with Steve, who gives a rat's ass what Marco Rubio thinks about sin (btw Mr, Rubio, if you're going to talk about the Bible and faith, maybe you better know what it actually says in the language it was written in, instead of relying on your neighborhood priest to do that for you. He's wrong. As the Catholic Church is wrong about so many things.)

And if he's so faith-driven as he says he is, then I defy Mr. Rubio to explain how he can be a Republican considering what they stand for in terms of taking care of the poor and needy.

Faith starts at the top of his pointed head and stops at his wallet, doesn't it?

Posted by: Bart | Dec 5, 2012 11:43:15 AM

6. and really, how does this make him much different from the spectre of "Sharia Law!!' that folks keep bringing up?

you cannot craft laws based on your own chosen religious beliefs, and then seek to impose them on people who do not share those beliefs.

seriously. up next - jews across america banning gentiles from eating pork, buying pork, or publicly flaunting their pork-lifestyles!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 5, 2012 11:46:14 AM

7. And what does the Constitution tell you, Mr. Rubio?

Posted by: lakewoodhobo | Dec 5, 2012 11:47:09 AM

8. Won't stop GOProud and the Loggies from handing him an endorsement.

Posted by: Butch | Dec 5, 2012 11:47:15 AM

9. Rubio always seems to be over-compensating. For what, I'm never sure.

He seems over-agressive, as if he thinks that if he can articulate his position faster and louder, it will give it more heft. Is this some sort of personal, intellectual insecurity bubbling up? He just comes off as hair-triggered, obnoxious, and like he's trying to be over-bearing. He just doesn't have enough intellectual weight or personal charisma to actually overbear.

The Republican party sure seems to draw some weird personalities.

Posted by: Rubio 2016! | Dec 5, 2012 11:47:25 AM

10. "For example, it(his faith)teaches that lying is a sin. It teaches that disrespecting your parents is a sin."

Like when you lied to your constituents by claiming your parents fled Communist oppression in Cuba, when in fact they emigrated to the US long before Castro ever came to power? Lies like that? About your parents?

This guy is overly ambitious and reaching far beyond his grasp. I predict he will crash and burn well before the 2016 primaries begin.

Posted by: RWG | Dec 5, 2012 11:48:13 AM

11. No Mr. Rubio your faith doesn't inform you. It misinforms you. But that's OK because no one's paying attention to you and the majority isn't paying attention to anyone's notion of sin. What a laugh.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 5, 2012 11:48:43 AM

12. This is why Rubio -- and his party -- are headed for the dustbin of history.

Fast

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 5, 2012 11:49:18 AM

13. The faith that informs some of the Religious Right says that because Hispanics are not Northern European, they do not have the requisite Protestant Work Ethic to be true Americans - according to their book.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 5, 2012 11:52:36 AM

14. Keep spouting all your religious b.s. Mr Rubio; this will inevitably put a Democratic President in office in 2016.

Posted by: Oliver | Dec 5, 2012 11:54:46 AM

15. And this is the supposed young Hispanic star of the Republican party?

Posted by: jht | Dec 5, 2012 11:55:13 AM

16. Oh look, yet more 'I'm totally anti-Gay, but only because my religion tells me so!' nonsense. I swear, LGBT people should NEVER EVER give this swill a pass.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Dec 5, 2012 11:59:23 AM

17. I'm with Uffda on this: faith doesn't "inform," it misinforms. It's a distorting lens through which you view the world.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 5, 2012 12:08:55 PM

18. Rubio is playing games, of course. And I'm tired of these games.

The game is that he is totally against rights for gays, but he tries to soften it by saying he doesn't really judge gays because, hey, we ALL sinners. See? "I hate everyone equally!"

But that's not the real story - the real story is that he doesn't want rights for US sinners, while he happy to grant right to every OTHER sinner.

Don't be fooled -- it's all just a way to make himself look warm and fuzzy when in fact he is as much a homophobe as the rest of them.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 5, 2012 12:11:52 PM

19. YOUR BIBLE IS NOT MY CONSTITUTION

Posted by: Eric | Dec 5, 2012 12:13:16 PM

20. A conservative's answer to the "sin" question will always be "yes". It's predictable, so the question is wasted. The question I want them to answer is, "America is a tapestry of all kinds of people. How do you see gay people fitting into the American tapestry?" That way they are forced to bring up "sin" on their own, or they are forced to say something positive about gay people. The followup question would then have to be about equal rights for everyone.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 5, 2012 12:18:20 PM

21. Har! Har! Har! "Faith" and "informed" in the same sentence! Luckily I wasn't drinking a glass of milk at the time! Har!

Posted by: Geoff | Dec 5, 2012 12:23:55 PM

22. Thank you Mr. Rubio. Now go back to your bible, go back to your church and leave us alone. Politics, law courts and religion do NOT mix.
    It is too easy for the fundamentalist, the rightious and the pious to assume a position of superiority based on their beliefs...and in doing so, deny human rights and equality to many.

Posted by: excy | Dec 5, 2012 12:26:43 PM

23. Since lying is a sin, he and his fellow Republicans like Mitt must have committed sin multiple times.

Posted by: simon | Dec 5, 2012 12:52:11 PM

24. Instead of being informed by that great document called the Constitutions or the words of those great men who founded this nation, he chose the Bible as his response. If he is regarded as a rising star in the Republican party, then the party or even the nation will have no future. That spells the end of the American Empire.

Posted by: simon | Dec 5, 2012 1:04:45 PM

25. Well, he also repeated the "we are all sinners" stuff as a reason not to judge others, even if he enjoys groveling.

You know:

"I've been a very bad boy and deserve to be punished."

(whip cracks)

"Thank you, sir."

Whatever gets him off, but please spare the rest of us who are not into that sort of thing - just flog the people who liked to be flogged!

Posted by: Bill | Dec 5, 2012 1:14:34 PM